Alteryx Designer

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
Register for the upcoming Live Community Q&A Session - and don't forget to submit your questions for @DeanS regarding the future role of analytics here.

Downgrading Alteryx to open workflow

Highlighted
6 - Meteoroid

Hello,

I received an awesome workflow from user @BenMoss in the Community. However, when I tried to open the workflow in Alteryx, I was notified that I was using an older version. I then attempted to open the workflow via Notepad but the text showed up as a bunch of symbols. I then downloaded Basic Text Editor from the Microsoft Store and when I attempted to open the workflow using the "Basic Text Editor", it wasn't recognized as an app on my computer. Are there any other help/tips anyone can provide that would enable me to open the workflow?

Highlighted
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @anncat

Alteryx workflows are just XML files.  If you're seeing anything other than text in notepad, it's probably because @BenMoss sent you an alteryx package (.yxzp).  This is just a renamed zip file.  Change the extension to .zip and un-zip it.  Look for the workflow file in the unzipped directory and open that in notepad.  Change the <AlteryxDocument> element to your version

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<AlteryxDocument yxmdVer="2018.1">
  <Nodes>
    <Node ToolID="1">

Dan

Highlighted
Alteryx Certified Partner
Alteryx Certified Partner

What @BenMoss provided was a .yxzp file, which is a compressed/zip file that contains multiple files.

- Download the .yxzp.

- Open the .yxzp. You will receive the "newer version" error, but the first thing that happens is that file is uncompressed into a new folder in your Downloads folder. 

- Go to the folder that contains the yxzp and file the folder that was created with the same name as the yxzp file.

- In that folder will be one or more .yxmd/.yxmc/.yxwz files that can be converted in a text editor.

Labels