Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Doubt with strings, replacements and dates

Inactive User
Not applicable

Hi everyone,

I have a doubt with one issue that I found several times and I don't know yet how to solve it in the best and fastest way. I have a column with Dates but in a string format and the values are "Jan-2015", "Feb-2015", "Mar-2015", etc. And I want to change it to a Date field. 

My first idea was to create a formula using Replace. And replace Jan for 01, Feb for 02, etc. and after that use the DateTime tool. My doubt is: why I can't use a single formula statement like replace([String],"Jan","01") and replace([String,"Feb","02") ... and I have to use different statements for each replacement? There's a faster way to do it?

Thanks!

Pablo

18 REPLIES 18
paul_houghton
12 - Quasar

Hey Pablo, with a formula tool try using datetimeparse([date_string],'%b-%Y'). The %b modifier should show the abbreviated month name (Feb, Oct)

Have a look at the help file it has a list of the date modifiers there

Inactive User
Not applicable

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the tip! bu if my months are not in english? I think Alteryx doesn't recognize the months so then I should change all of them. It's not possible to use one unique formula to concatenate different replacements? instead of updating the output field once for every formula?

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

How about nesting your replacements?

replace(REPLACE(replace([String],"Jan","01"),"Feb","02"),"Mar","03)

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
paul_houghton
12 - Quasar

Ah I don't know how Alteryx treats other languages but I would think you are correct. What you would need to do would be translate the fields to english (replace 'foreign Jan', 'Jan') , etc then do the date parsing on it. Those two steps could be combined into a single formula tool but it would separate formulas for each.

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

For a client using Spanish, I created a text table that associates the Month # with Spanish terms.  I used a Find&Replace tool to switch between English and Spanish.

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
tom_montpool
12 - Quasar

You could also use the Switch() function to convert from English to Spanish.

s_pichaipillai
12 - Quasar

Hi

I created a macro for your date conversion as i dont see any direct function 

1. created a text input for both english and spanish

Mac1.PNG

2. this macro accepts both format something below

DAtre.PNG

then use this macro to convert your string data into date

the final worflow and result would be like this

res.PNG

PFA macro for your testing 

s_pichaipillai
12 - Quasar

you can test the same with the attached sample workflow

FYI both macro and workflow created with 10.0 version :-)

jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

You could use a switch statement picking out the part of the input you need.

So to support English and Spanish:

SWITCH(LOWERCASE(LEFT([Field1],3))
       ,NULL() // Default
       ,"jan","01","feb","02","mar","03","apr","04","may","05","jun","06","jul","07","aug","08","sep","09","oct","10","nov","11","dec","12" // English
	,"ene","01","feb","02","mar","03","abr","04","may","05","jun","06","jul","07","ago","08","sep","09","oct","10","nov","11","dic","12" // Spanish
)

Would be easy to generate each language you need 

Labels