Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Delete files through sftp

Kakelad
7 - Meteor

Hello analytics far and wide!
Today I present you with a problem, where we have a workflow in designer. The workflow is amongst other things supposed to fetch a certain file from our Linux server through SFTP. The connection works fine and the file uploads&downloads are successful.

However, when we try to delete the aforementioned file from the server, we are at an impasse. The HTTP -action DELETE does nothing at all and neither does giving the custom -action any of the typical Linux commands.
As the situation is quite difficult to describe, I will add a bunch of footage to boot.

Any tips how to successfully delete the file or what commands to run on the custom action?

Thank you kindly for any insight

12 REPLIES 12
JohnPo
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi Kakelad,

Thank you for posting on the Community forum. The DELETE action won't work because in the back-end the curl command that is sent to the server is different depending on whether you're using SFTP or FTP. A colleague of mine created a workflow that will dynamically delete the file for you from the SFTP server. Would it be possible to setup a Webex call? If so, I'd gladly walk through with you how to remove the file from the SFTP server using the run command and a .bat file. I'll can also provide the workflow after the meeting as well. Please message me with your availability and your email to send the Webex meeting invite.

Best,

John Posada

Senior Customer Support Engineer

Alteryx

Best,
John Posada
Cloud Engineer
Kakelad
7 - Meteor

Hello and thank you for the response! 
I will discuss this with our analytics team ASAP and I'll get back to you. It might be more beneficial for one of our analytics' guys who actually deal with the workflows to have a call with you. I'm just the Technical Manager, but am somewhat familiar with Alteryx. 
Do you use skype at all?

Thanks again and I'll be in touch!

JohnPo
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi Kakelad,

We use Skype Business and Webex, please let me know your preference and we can go from there. I'm looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

Best,

John Posada

Senior Customer Support Engineer

Alteryx

Best,
John Posada
Cloud Engineer
saajith
5 - Atom

Hi John - I am interested in this solution as well (Delete files from SFTP Server). Would you be able to share the solution with me?

Thanks in advance!

Sajith

Raghu_s
8 - Asteroid

@JohnPo  - We would like to have a similar solution to delete files in SFTP. kindly assist. 

Rajkumar_
5 - Atom

Hi there,

can you share process .

how to delete the file from SFTP in alteryx

ninasun
6 - Meteoroid

Hi John,

Would you share the workflow to delete files from sFTP? I've been looking for a solution and found this thread today. Would appreciate your help!

Thanks,

Nina 

djodts
8 - Asteroid

@JohnPo  could you post your solution?  I think a lot of people are looking for this as I am but cannot find a solution.  Thanks.

EricM
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi Everyone, 

Here is an example workflow that deletes files from an SFTP using a combo of the Download & Python tools. The example should be pretty straightforward, you just need to plug in your SFTP info in the necessary places (the red Comment boxes indicate tools that need to be updated). 

Please let me know if you have questions, happy to help. 

Best, 

Eric McGilliard

Labels