Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Default separator in summarize tool while using concatenate

karsa1210
5 - Atom

Is there a way to change the default separator in summarize tool? right now, the default separator is set to comma and i want to change it to "_" but the only way to do that is to select all the fields one by one and change the separator because it cant select all the rows and change the separator in one click. Any help is appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
IJReed
8 - Asteroid

There may be a better solution, but you could do a "find and replace" in a formula tool before the summarize. Replace the _ with a comma.

meads
7 - Meteor

Hi,

You may be able to use a built in string function in Alteryx summarize tool. See below for example

solution-summarize.pngsummarize-tool.png

Matt_Curtis
9 - Comet

Hey @karsa1210, you could edit the XML of the Summarize tool you're using.  If you've never done it before, you may need to go to Options >> User Settings >> Edit User Settings, then go to the Advanced tab.  Check the box to 'Display XML in Properties Window'.

This will now enable a new pane in your Configuration window.  Click on the </> symbol and it'll open up an XML screen:

xml_example.PNG

Click the 'Edit' link in the top right.  It'll pop open a new window that'll let you actually edit the text.  I'd copy it into your favorite text editor, then do a bulk find an replace on the <Separator>_</Separator> part.  Copy it back in and save it, and boom, you should be able to change as many fields as you want.

estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @karsa1210 

What I've done with multiple fields for which I want a different concatenating method is gone with the default method of a comma in the summarize tool, and then used a Multi-Field formula tool to replace the comma with an underscore in the fields that were concatenated. Uncheck the "Copy output fields" option to replace the fields altogether.

image.png

Let me know if this works for you!

Cheers,

Esther

Labels