The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Default Anchor View

Dear GUI Gurus,

A minor, but time saving GUI enhancement would be appreciated.  When adding a tool to the canvas, the current behavior is to make visible the tool anchor that was last used on prior tools.  That being said, when I look at the results window, I might be adding a "vanilla" configuration tool to the canvas and stare at a BLANK results window.  When users are adding tools to the canvas, I suggest that the best practice is to VIEW the incoming data before configuring the tool.

I ALWAYS set the results to view the INCOMING DATA ANCHOR.

This minor change would be welcome to me.

Cheers,

Mark

4 Comments
SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Very curious about this one @MarqueeCrew - are you able to give more detail on this or possibly a worked example?

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@SeanAdams,

Here is more narrative and pictures:

capture1.png

I start out with a Text Input tool and of course the default for anchor view is output.  I then add a SELECT tool (for the purpose of resizing the data) and check the output anchor after I run the workflow.

capture2.png

Now the output anchor is activated and I can see the data after configuration of my tool.  Next I want to Filter the data.  I could be using a formula or other tool as well.  But when I drop the next tool onto the canvas it holds the OUTPUT anchor as what is displayed.  I would prefer to see the input anchor whenever I drop a new tool onto the canvas.

capture3.png

When I configure tools, I like to view the input data.  I always look at the input data when configuring a new tool.  OK, not always but whenever a formula or expression is needed.

Cheers,

Mark

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Makes sense Mark - especially as the platform moves to being more capable at configuring tools using the results window to do live data prep.

+1

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes