Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Customizable Designer Themes

This functionality won't be mission-critical to anyone, I'm sure, but a lot of IDEs and upgraded text editors (lookin' at you Notepad++) have the ability to customize the colors of text, the background, and other various tabs/objects that may appear on the screen. I understand that this is more important for code-based systems where the coloring improves readability so much, but I thought it might be a neat feature. I think leaving the tool colors standardized is a good idea though, just the canvas and outerlying windows. It could include the colors for the formula syntax highlighting too?

The icing on the cake would be the ability to save and share your settings or create a repository for them in the public gallery or something.

17 Comments
RachelW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Comments Requested

Eric - I'd love to chat to understand this idea. I'll set something up with you via email. 

RachelW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Under Review

@EEdLoh Thanks for submitting this idea and sharing your thoughts earlier this week! We're investigating ways that we can provide options to customize Designer, including dark mode. We do not have a target date for releasing this feature at this time. 

StephenF
8 - Asteroid

Dark/Night mode would be much appreciated. @RachelW

cesar_castellon
7 - Meteor

Agree!

samng
5 - Atom

Dark Mode would be really cool

jameswine
5 - Atom

@rachelW I think a great example of applications that do this right are JetBrains IDEs, Discord, and Twitter.

EEdLoh
8 - Asteroid

@jameswine, Haha, I used IntelliJ and Notepad++ to demonstrate on a screen share when Rachel and I spoke on the phone.

dpcarballo
6 - Meteoroid

I would really like a dark theme to be available. Please take into account this is not just a matter of preference, but rather one related to user health.

My sight is way more tired after a day working on a light background app! For short periods of time it is irrelevant, but when you work as a professional, this gap becomes critical

RachelW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Not Planned

We will continue to make changes to the UI of Designer over the next few releases; however, we don't plan to add custom themes in the near term. Thanks for submitting the idea and comments! 

NigelW
7 - Meteor

Agreed, the ability to custimise the enviroment as per other IDEs
Also the option to go dark mode, which changes the whole look and feel not just the editing part