Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Custom Macro Annotation

When a custom (bespoke for @Chrislove) macro is created, I would like the option to create an annotation that goes along with the tool.  This is entirely cosmetic, but might help users to recognize the macro.

Thanks,

Mark

22 Comments
Troy
8 - Asteroid

I agree.  This would be so helpful in my case I have multiple macros on the screen.  I tend to use the client logo for the icon but having a default annotation would be very helpful.

Atabarezz
13 - Pulsar

How do you change the icon for the macro?

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

Use the interface Designer (CTRL+ALT+D)

Properties (Wrench)

You'll get to choose standard or custom icons

Atabarezz
13 - Pulsar

Thanks

rob_cottrell
7 - Meteor

I would love to see annotations added that are updatable via Action controls, so they can be updated based on how the macro user configures the tool.

Amaury
7 - Meteor

Hello,

Just want to add a non-cosmetic use case for this. I want to build a unit conversion macro. The user interface has two drop-downs allowing to choose the incoming and outgoing units. Without annotations, the macro will look the same in every configuration, making verification time-consuming if you have many instances of the tool.

The workaround is the user manually types the units pair in the annotation, essentially providing the information twice. 

So in my dream, the macro can dynamically set its own annotation, e.g. by using interface parameters in a formula-like box in the workflow properties.

Amaury

_richardr
10 - Fireball

It has been 2 years since this was brought up?  Has it been resolved?

pvigneron
7 - Meteor

Hello, looking for something like this too!

Hiblet
10 - Fireball

I would like this.  The interface designer could just have an additional textbox for the default annotation.

ivoller
12 - Quasar

I agree, this would be a great help in documenting apps etc.