Alteryx Designer

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

Csv second tab

Highlighted
7 - Meteor

Hi, does anyone have an idea how to output to more than one tab for csv format in alteryx?

Highlighted
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Emanuelis 

Would it be possible to save these as XLSX files? This would be simple to achieve within Alteryx. However, CSV files by nature are not designed for multiple tabs.

Thanks

Will

Highlighted
7 - Meteor

I am using csv because I want my output to split into separate files depending on a given column.

Unless any other type can support this

csv example.JPG

Highlighted
Alteryx
Alteryx

@Emanuelis Yes this is possible with both CSV and Excel files. Your configuration only needs a small change to make this work for you. If in the output Tool, you change the drop down at the bottom from 'Append Suffix to file name' to 'Change entire file path' then this will work.

You will just need to make sure that your FilePath field is configured to change based on those given columns.

Let me know if this works for you

Thanks

Will

Highlighted
Alteryx
Alteryx

HI @Emanuelis 

Excel files require a little more than CSV files (which are actually flat text files that Excel lays claim to the extension of).

It needs the file name and the sheet name in the path.

I have attached an example that will write out to different files and sheets based upon a column, you will need to use a formula as I did to create what you need.

Highlighted
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Hi @Emanuelis 

The solution provided by @wdavis should work for your case. This will give you multiple CSV files. CSV files only support one "sheet" of data.

They're very fast to work with, and an easy file type to boot.

Hope that helps.

Cheers!

Esther

Highlighted
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I am unable to understand your Formula.

i have also same requirement like in one csv file i should have multiple tab.

Highlighted
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @rohit782192 

A CSV is a flat text file. If you open it up using notepad you will see it is a file that contains commas between each field (Comma Separate Variable)

It's not possible to have multiple sheets within a CSV file as it doesn't have the notion of sheets.

I have updated my Workflow to include both outputting to different Excel Files with Different Sheet names, and also then the same Excel file, but different sheet names.

Labels