Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Creating new columns from values

jt_edin
8 - Asteroid

I'm struggling with a simple problem that I know will be easy in Alteryx, I just can't figure out how. I'm dealing with some duplicate data, two records per customer. Here is a simplified example of the source:

alt1.PNG

...which I want to turn into this:

alt2.PNG

I thought this would be a cross tab but there are too many categories. Each customer has two purchases, and I want to display each purchase side by side. How do I do it? Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
danielbrun2
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

This is a example workflow.

Best,

Daniel

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

Glad to see that @danielbrun2 was able to help you.  I'd like to be a customer and be buying cars, boats and planes.  Glad to see that you've got Alteryx to help you out.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
jt_edin
8 - Asteroid

Of course! Thank you. I forgot about the text to columns tool.

I also realised it's possible to do this with a dummy field of 1, a running total and a cross tab. This could avoid any issues with text to columns. It's attached, beneath the original version. Thanks for your prompt help!

jakerock
6 - Meteoroid

What about if I need to convert the values into columns with binary yes or no values? Like this:

CustomerCarBoatPlane
A110
B101
C011

Sorry if this is a newbie question...

jakerock
6 - Meteoroid

I was able to resolve this by using the Formula tool to add 3 new fields such as PurchasedCar, PurchasedBoat and PurchasedPlane, and populated the values of the 3 new fields for each row based on the concatenated Purchased value using a string comparison function. Thanks.

Labels