Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Creating new columns based on repeat information by Unique Identified Number

aehrenwo
11 - Bolide

I have a process I am currenty using an Excel VBA macro to handle an I am hoping there is a way to do this programtically in Alteryx. 

The data has unique User ID records numbers. There is then a column for the "Business Rule" they are in. In most cases each user ID is in 1 or 2 of these and would be represente in the data by multiple rows.

Original data

User IDBusinessRule

I created a script that places each addtional role in a new tab with columns BusinessRule1, BusinessRule2, etc. 

The most # of rules that someone is in is 4. 

Result required

User IDBusinessRule1BusinessRule2BusinessRule3

Is there a way to do this? Can it be set up to automatically add addtional columns if there are 5 unique rules a user is in (or does that have to be hard coded? 

Appreciate the input. 

Regards,

Adam

3 REPLIES 3
JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

Hi @aehrenwo

One solution is to Transpose, then use  MultiRow formula to help determine the new column names; then CrossTab; (see attached).

michael_treadwell
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

The Crosstab tool will do what you need if you create a header column using the Multi-Row Formula tool

Edit: Or what @JohnJPS said

slarosa_az
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks for this. Was spending hours trying to do this in an iterative macro and this made it so easy!

Labels