Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Create separate tabs for each day and seperate sheets for different days

vchauhan011
7 - Meteor

Hello,

I am just wondering if there is a way that everytime I run my workflow, it would create a seperate tab in an excel sheet  and separate excel sheet for everyday. Thank you very much in Advance!  

7 REPLIES 7
fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @vchauhan011 ,

It is totally possible!

See attached example where I use an output data tool functionality to write data to different tabs. I also added a formula tool showing how to create a tabname based on today's date.

Let me know if that works for you.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

DiganP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@vchauhan011 Attached is the workflow that creates new tab for every day, each run will replace the existing previous run dataset. Attached is the workflow with the below configuration. Does this help?

DiganP_0-1578959760562.png

Digan
Alteryx
vchauhan011
7 - Meteor

@fmvizcaino and  , Thank you very much for both solutions.

I think I was not very clear in my question or I am understanding your workflows wrong.

I have these data set which auto updates every 3 hours. I want to create workflow so that when this data set get updated  every time for same day, it would create seperate tab and everyday it create a new excel sheet. So new excel sheet for every day and new tabs every times it runs in the same day. 

Thank you again! 

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @vchauhan011 ,

To achieve that, one option is to use the DateTimeNow() function for creating your new tab. By adding the datetime of execution, you will be able to create multiple tabs at the same day.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

neilgallen
12 - Quasar

I think I got what you're trying to do here.  Similar to what @DiganP had suggested, with a slight tweak.

If you were to include a formula tool with the following formula:

"C:\users\neallen\excel_file_"+datetimetoday()+".xlsx|||"+datetimeformat(DateTimeStart(),"%H.%M")+"$"

You could get a file for each day, with a tab for each time you run the workflow. Replace the filepath at the beginning with where you want to save the file.

Essentially we are building a string with today's date, and then naming each sheet with the current time at the start of each workflow execution. 

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @vchauhan011 ,

This should do it:

Untitled.png

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Regards

vchauhan011
7 - Meteor

Thank you @fmvizcaino , @neilgallen and @afv2688 for your help! I really appreciate it! 
@neilgallen 's formula worked for me. 

Thank you again! Hope you all have a great day!  

Labels