Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Create new connector to pull Salesforce Reports

Create new connector to pull Salesforce Reports

We are a large company with tens of thousands employees using Salesforce on a daily basis. Over the years, we have worked with Salesforce to make many customizations and create many reports to provide data for various reporting needs. However, we have increasingly found it inefficient and prone to error to download the reports manually. We have many teams using the Salesforce reports as a base to create additional business insights.

Alteryx is a great tool to manage data ETL and workflows, but it does not support pulling data from Salesforce reports directly. Instead, it only offers connectors to pull data from base Salesforce objects. The data from Salesforce objects such as tables can be useful, but do not necessarily offer the logical view of Salesforce reports, and may require a lot of efforts to reconcile the data consistency against the reports our users are used to. Sometimes, it may be impossible to repeat producing the same data from Salesforce tables as those from Salesforce reports. That in turn would cause a lot of efforts spent by the reporting teams, their audience, and users of the Salesforce reports to match things up.

Salesforce does not have any out-of-box solution to schedule downloading the reports. At our request, their support team did some research and have not found a good 3rd-party solution in the Salesforce App Exchange ecosystem that supports this need.

I strongly believe this is a great opportunity for Alteryx. Salesforce already has an API that allows for building custom applications to pull Salesforce reports. However, most Salesforce users are more business oriented and do not necessarily have the appetite to engage with their IT staff or external resources provide to develop such apps and bear the burden to main them.

I have attached the Salesforce Reports and Dashboards API Developer Guide for your reference.

Sincerely,

Vincent Wang

34 Comments
shaunbeckett
6 - Meteoroid

Bump. Let's get this going!

calebdugger
7 - Meteor

This would be phenomenal to have.

darronwalton
8 - Asteroid

Hi Alteryx Team, if this is not something you plan to build into the core product, the DVW Team (developers of the Alteryx Connectors for SAP and BusinessObjects) would be happy to take a look.

Regards,

Darron Walton

www.dvwanalytics.com / www.dvwsolutions.com

calebdugger
7 - Meteor

Checking to see if there has been any progress on this or if this is something your team has been working on Darron Walton?

darronwalton
8 - Asteroid

@calebdugger - No, we are not currently working on this.

ARich
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Under Review

Hi All,

Thanks for the feedback. Based on the need across our user base, we're currently evaluating effort and feasibility and hope to get this on the roadmap soon.

Best,

Alex

siddarthjohn
5 - Atom

Bump! need this

Rob_van_Waveren
5 - Atom

This is really essential to make the salesforce connector perform better and be user friendly!

calebdugger
7 - Meteor

@AlexP Checking on this to see if there has been any progress on this?

Rob_van_Waveren
5 - Atom

as a "business user" I'm used to building reports using fields with a meaningful name. When using SOQL I constantly have to go back trying to find the API names and creating cross object queries is a cumbersome process, at least for me it is. I must admit, I'm a rookie on Alteryx and maybe in a few years time I laugh about this, but for now it would be very helpful. Any tips on using the field labels rather than the API names and e.g. how to easily create a SOQL query that would return info for "LAST 30 DAYS" etc.? What I see now is download nearly the complete database and then using a formula field filter based on that field but that does not build very efficient queries :-(