Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Counting Across Columns

cmohyi
7 - Meteor

Hi all,

I'm trying to find a dynamic way to count the number of specific values across columns. Here's a sample of the data:

StockClient 1Client 2Client 3Client 4
ABC.05.010.07
XYZ.060.01.03

I'd like to create a new column with a count of the instances of 0. I don't want to use the formula tool because my column headers have account numbers rather than Client 1, Client 2, etc and those account numbers will change regularly. I think the multi-row formula or multi-field formula might help but I haven't been able to get those to work.

Thank you all very much in advance!!

2 REPLIES 2
Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hey @cmohyi 

I have attached a workflow that should get you the result you're looking for. I added a couple rows and changed the data a little bit to try and account for different circumstances.

First transpose your data, use a Summarize tool to count the instance of each value for each stock for each name. Use the Filter to only keep the 0 values. Use a Cross Tab to get the data oriented correctly again. Lastly use a Join then a Union to get your final output.

Hope this helps!

Capture.PNG

Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @cmohyi 

The solution is very simple:

Solutionagain.PNG

- The secret when you want to dynamic Summarize something is to transpose your data.

- Transpose data (Key Field should be Stock, I assume) - (Data Fields - Check Dynamic/Unknown Fields)

- Create a Flag to indicate if your Value field is 0 (Flag 1 or 0)

- Group by Stock and Sum the zeroes

- Join it back to the dataset

WF appended.

Cheers,

Labels