The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Convert to Macro

When looking at a complex canvas - my first instinct is to group this into sub-modules (e.g. "/load Data"; "clean data") to make this simpler to understand.

We mostly do this through the use of Containers.

However - it would be more useful if you could then take an entire container and convert this to a macro.    This would be very similar to the way that Visual Studio allows you to take a block of code and convert it to a sub-procedure.

This would be a super-quick way to allow people to make canvasses more maintainable and easier to understand and test!

Thank you 

Sean

6 Comments
Maurice
5 - Atom

Very good idea, please make this a reality!

etzele
8 - Asteroid

I support this idea. Maybe instead of a real macro one can extend the container in a way that it has input and output anchors as soon as we collapse it (and maybe that we also have to opportunity to add a logo or something).

ReneGoebels
5 - Atom

Good idea. I would like to have it.

jarrod
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

I love this idea not only because of ease of use, but also in reverse. Debugging a macro from a clean workflow (right click - open macro) is tough without the offending data.

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey all - am I right that this has now been delivered in one of the recent versions (2021.x)?

I've been using this A LOT recently and it truly has been transformative in the way that I work in Alteryx expecially when refactoring.

Also - building a deeper macro is now SUPER easy - just build it on one canvas; and then wrap in a macro.

Thank you for delivering this capability - very very much appreciated.

CristonS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Implemented

thanks @SeanAdams and supporters!