Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Conversion errors : Fixed Decimal and Precision

AmineB
6 - Meteoroid

Hello,

In my input data (xlsx file), I have financial numeric fields so precision is paramount.

So I decided to change to type from V_String to Fixed Decimal. 

I'm having 2 types of conversion errors : 

Error 1: "3.3320348528E8" is not a valid FixedDecimal. FixedDecimal values must be of the form: -nnn.nn

Error 2: "0.07650814271753212" has too many digits after the decimal and was truncated.

The first error, I think it's an excel error. But I dont know how to get around it. 

The second error is probably a parameter error on my part. In the select tool, I put Fixed Decimal (255.15)

Thank you in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Try changing from V_String to Double first and then to Fixed Decimal

DavidP_0-1586431186617.png

joshuaburkhow
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hey @AmineB 

Hopefully this helps you. I took an excel file. Created 4 different field types and brought them into Alteryx. This is what you get when you swap to fixed decimal of different precisions. If you go over the actual precision it will end in Null value. 

joshuaburkhow_0-1586432129010.png

I noticed on your second one you picked 255.15 as your parameters. Try just doing something like 20.15

Joshua Burkhow - Alteryx Ace | Global Alteryx Architect @PwC | Blogger @ AlterTricks
Labels