Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Connector with masked credentials

SGolnik
11 - Bolide
11 - Bolide

We created a service account with non-expiring credentials for a Microsoft SQL Server DB. We want to give users the ability to publish productionalized workflows to our gallery using these credentials, but do not want the users to actually have the credentials. To complicate matters more, the DB is a replica of the one the users actually have access to so it is a different connection/dsn than they will be using for development. I thought about creating a custom connector and masking the credentials in it and allowing specific users access to download and use the connector, but if they are like me they will right click on it and open it up which will reveal the credentials. Is there any way to mitigate that risk and use this method? Is there any other way of handling this that I might be missing short of everyone's workflows being published to the gallery by someone with this access and these credentials?

2 REPLIES 2
cadyb
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @SGolnik - you can do this by encrypting the macro so that it cannot be opened by users! Just create the macro that contains the Input Data tool, then when it's ready to go choose Options>Advanced Options>Encrypt Workflow. The users will be able to drag the macro/tool onto the canvas and use, but if they try to open it they will get an error message that it cannot be opened/edited.

Here are the details in the Help Documentation: Encrypt Workflow

Cady 

SGolnik
11 - Bolide
11 - Bolide

Thank you so much! I searched multiple times and wasn't able to find this, but I knew there had to be a way to do it.

Labels