Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Connecting to Tableau Desktop

jillian
8 - Asteroid

Is it possible to drop an Alteryx output file directly to Tableau Desktop? Or, is this only a feature available to Tableau Online/Server?

8 REPLIES 8
DanM
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

@jillian,

That feature is only available to Tableau Server. You can output TDE files from Alteryx, but there is no way that Alteryx can push directly into the desktop. The Tableau Server tools uses Tableau's API which the API doesn't have access to the desktop.

DanM

jillian
8 - Asteroid

Thank you @DanM!

cdeitschel
5 - Atom

I'm new to the tool and was disappointed to see this post as I have Tableau desktop and not server.  I was really hoping I could export out my analysis this way.  I don't know the reasons it can't be done, could it be added to a future version?

Is there something else I can do in the meantime, such as export to a different file format that is more Tableau friendly?  Thanks

williamsa
7 - Meteor

I would also like to do this. I notice this post is from 2018. Has there been any update? Is it possible to do this now?

dsmdavid
11 - Bolide

Hi @williamsa 

Alteryx will output .tde or .hyper files that can be used in tableau desktop, that is not an issue.
If you have a Tableau workbook using an extract as a datasource, that extract can be overwritten (or appended, whatever you choose in the output options) using Alteryx.

williamsa
7 - Meteor

Hi @dsmdavid Thanks for your reply. Currently the output file from Alteryx is an xls and my Tableau file is a live connection. So not sure if the xls from Alteryx designer can directly go into Tableau desktop?

dsmdavid
11 - Bolide

As long as it's a live connection, the output from Alteryx (excel files or whatever format) will be picked up by Tableau (you may need to a) close/re-open Tableau or b) refresh datasources).

williamsa
7 - Meteor

@dsmdavid Thank you very much!

Labels