Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Concatenate/join two rows

Pav
7 - Meteor

My data looks like this

PlannedActualVarianceSumDifferenceT
     A
1 3 4B
 6 4  

The way it looks like this, its because it was a merged cell in excel. What I want to do is to join both of these rows because second row is almost entirely blank and I need both 'T' and 'A' in the same row.

Is there a way to have the data in the same cell in alteryx when uploading merged cells from excel? 

If not, what would be the most suitable way to join these two rows? I've a number of rows below that I don't want to join, it's only the top two rows. 

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
JonA
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi Pav,

Can you post a screen shot sharing what you'd like the data to look like?

Pav
7 - Meteor
PlannedActualVarianceSumDifferenceT A
1 3 4B
 6 4  

As you can see, the second row is gone and the letter 'A' that was there is concatenated with the first row data.

I don't mind is it separated by whitespace, comma etc. as long as it is in the same row. All the rows below stay the same.

Hope that makes it clear. 

RodL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I have found that Excel is putting in a "new row" indicator.

If you use a Formula tool (or Multi-Field Formula if there are several columns with the same characteristic), you can use the expresession...

REGEX_Replace([_CurrentField_], "\n", " ")

...to replace the "new row" with a "space".

JonA
Alteryx
Alteryx

There's always an easier way, but this dynamically gets to what you want. Creating a list of your columns and concatenating the values of your desired field name was key. Once you deploy the dynamic rename tool, this process becomes a lot easier. 

workflow.jpg

Pav
7 - Meteor

Thank you, works perfectly. 

Labels