Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Compartmentalize Alteryx Workflow

trevorwightman
8 - Asteroid

Hello, I have a workflow that I have segmented into 7 different containers or segments. I segmented it like this because each part of the workflow has its own task and it moves through each container one at a time. Currently I have 4 different versions of this workflow since sometimes the requests to use this are slightly different. The problem with this is now that I have 4 different versions, if I have to update one of the containers I need to do it in all 4 instances, which is a huge pain. Is there a way I can take one of these containers and make it it's own workflow?  I'd have 7 mini-workflows, one for each container, and then my main workflow will just connect all 7. Then when I need to make an update to one of the containers I just need to update the mini-workflow and that update will be present in all versions of the main workflow. Is there anyway I can do this? Or are there better ways to approach this that I have not thought of? I am open to ideas and please let me know if you have any questions.

Extra Info: One example of a different version would be in the first container on the left. This is my "Matching logic" container. The one pictured below just gathers individual matches for postal matching. Another version might be individual+household for postal matching.

trevorwightman_0-1592916319560.png

4 REPLIES 4
smoskowitz
12 - Quasar

Hi @trevorwightman  -

You might want to consider turning this into an Analytic app. You can have all the workflows in a single workflow, and the user can choose which one they want using a radio button. Its a bit more complex, but it might be worthwhile looking into.

Thanks,

Seth

trevorwightman
8 - Asteroid

Got it, I will take a look into that. And additionally, I actually have a backup so he also has four versions of this workflow. Does this make the case to turn this into an Analytic App even stronger?

smoskowitz
12 - Quasar

Yes, it could also be a macro -- maybe. It depends on what's being fed into the workflow.

Seth

echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Yes, you can make them all into separate workflows and then chain them together to run one after another. 

Take a look at the Runner Crew macros! The macro pack can be found here:

http://www.chaosreignswithin.com/p/macros.html

Labels