Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Comparing multiple datasets >100 using Field Info

R_L
7 - Meteor

Hi, 

I have a number of a dataset, which are similar in schema but have different number of columns. The number of datasets number >100 and I wish to pull up a quick summary of them together, so I can see which columns are missing from their corresponding dataset.

I wanted to do something similar to https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Weekly-Challenge/Challenge-72-Compare-Data-Sets-Fields-Columns/td-p..., except I'm not sure if it's still possible? Currently I have a Batch Input Macro pulling and union'ing all the datasets together, but separately, I'm wondering how to adapt the Batch Input Macro (taken from here https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/CS-Macro-Dev-Reading-in-Multiple-Fi...) to generate the Field Info for >100 datasets?

Is it possible?

4 REPLIES 4
grossal
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @R_L,

I think you should combine the Batch Macro with a Directory Tool.

grossal_0-1588139138832.png

grossal_1-1588139149884.png

Also make sure to add the "Output File Name as Field" option.

grossal_2-1588139198348.png

I'll attach the workflow/macro. Let me know what you think.

Best

Alex

R_L
7 - Meteor

Hi, I tried that previously, except I see the following?

R_L_0-1588139645254.png

Preferably I want to create something to this:

Dataset ADataset BDataset CDataset D
Field 1 Field 1Field 1
Field 2Field 2Field 2Field 2
Field 3Field 3Field 3 
Count of Non-Null Records in Dataset ACount of Non-Null Records in Dataset BCount of Non-Null Records in Dataset CCount of Non-Null Records in Dataset D
grossal
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Sorry for misunderstanding it in the first place @R_L.

I made some changes to the workflow/macro.

The output has the following format now:

Dataset 1Dataset 2Dataset 3Dataset 4
Column ANon null values in Column A in Dataset 1Non null values in Column A in Dataset 2Non null values in Column A in Dataset 3Non null values in Column A in Dataset 4
Column BNon null values in Column B in Dataset 1Non null values in Column B in Dataset 2Non null values in Column B in Dataset 3Non null values in Column B in Dataset 4
Column CNon null values in Column C in Dataset 1Non null values in Column C in Dataset 2Non null values in Column C in Dataset 3Non null values in Column C in Dataset 4

It's not exactly your required output, but it contains all required information. It looks like this in the real run:

AlteryxGui_VLXjMVtK8M.png

The Nulls indicate that this column doesn't exist and numbers tell the "non null values".

Workflow / macro looks like this:

AlteryxGui_tTHwgDdmeo.png

AlteryxGui_el0dZysQUZ.png

Updated workflow/macro attached. What do you think?

Best

Alex

R_L
7 - Meteor

Thanks, that works as well!

Labels