Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Comparing multiple datasets >100 using Field Info

R_L
7 - Meteor

Hi, 

I have a number of a dataset, which are similar in schema but have different number of columns. The number of datasets number >100 and I wish to pull up a quick summary of them together, so I can see which columns are missing from their corresponding dataset.

I wanted to do something similar to https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Weekly-Challenge/Challenge-72-Compare-Data-Sets-Fields-Columns/td-p..., except I'm not sure if it's still possible? Currently I have a Batch Input Macro pulling and union'ing all the datasets together, but separately, I'm wondering how to adapt the Batch Input Macro (taken from here https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/CS-Macro-Dev-Reading-in-Multiple-Fi...) to generate the Field Info for >100 datasets?

Is it possible?

4 REPLIES 4
grossal
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @R_L,

I think you should combine the Batch Macro with a Directory Tool.

grossal_0-1588139138832.png

grossal_1-1588139149884.png

Also make sure to add the "Output File Name as Field" option.

grossal_2-1588139198348.png

I'll attach the workflow/macro. Let me know what you think.

Best

Alex

R_L
7 - Meteor

Hi, I tried that previously, except I see the following?

R_L_0-1588139645254.png

Preferably I want to create something to this:

Dataset ADataset BDataset CDataset D
Field 1 Field 1Field 1
Field 2Field 2Field 2Field 2
Field 3Field 3Field 3 
Count of Non-Null Records in Dataset ACount of Non-Null Records in Dataset BCount of Non-Null Records in Dataset CCount of Non-Null Records in Dataset D
grossal
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Sorry for misunderstanding it in the first place @R_L.

I made some changes to the workflow/macro.

The output has the following format now:

Dataset 1Dataset 2Dataset 3Dataset 4
Column ANon null values in Column A in Dataset 1Non null values in Column A in Dataset 2Non null values in Column A in Dataset 3Non null values in Column A in Dataset 4
Column BNon null values in Column B in Dataset 1Non null values in Column B in Dataset 2Non null values in Column B in Dataset 3Non null values in Column B in Dataset 4
Column CNon null values in Column C in Dataset 1Non null values in Column C in Dataset 2Non null values in Column C in Dataset 3Non null values in Column C in Dataset 4

It's not exactly your required output, but it contains all required information. It looks like this in the real run:

AlteryxGui_VLXjMVtK8M.png

The Nulls indicate that this column doesn't exist and numbers tell the "non null values".

Workflow / macro looks like this:

AlteryxGui_tTHwgDdmeo.png

AlteryxGui_el0dZysQUZ.png

Updated workflow/macro attached. What do you think?

Best

Alex

R_L
7 - Meteor

Thanks, that works as well!

Labels