Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Comparing Records between two columns for similarity

JR1
7 - Meteor

Hello,

I was wondering what tool I should use for obtaining similarity between two fields.  I know that you can use an IF conditional, but this will only put out T or F if  it is an exact match.  I want to be able to compare the first record from one column with the first record from another column and see what the resulting match percentage is.

Example:

ABC ABC, 123  
DEF DEF  
GHI GIH  

Result:

ABC ABC, 123 80%
DEF DEF 100%
GHI GIH 90%

I know that Fuzzy Match allows you to compare records from one column.  I was wondering if there was something similar with a different tool, or if you can achieve this with Fuzzy Match.

4 REPLIES 4
DultonM
11 - Bolide

Hi @JR1! Fuzzy matching can compare data from 2 columns too! Merge Mode in the tool allows you to compare records from different sources. The attached workflow accomplishes your question using Fuzzy Matching, giving all 3 rows a score! Because Fuzzy Matching is meant to exclude pairs that don't match very well, I had to configure the Fuzzy Match tool in a very particular way that opens up the tool so all rows are returned. This introduces a few extra tools that may not be intuitive, so I added a lot of comments. Let me know if you would like some more explanation on how Fuzzy Matching in Alteryx works and why the work-arounds in the workflow were necessary. I hope this solved your question!

JR1
7 - Meteor

Hi @DultonM,

The solution you provided works great, and is very well explained!  Thank you very much!

AshishD
7 - Meteor

Hello DultonM,

Thank you so much for this self-explanatory workflow. This is almost what I was looking for.

The only problem I am having it to properly configure the Fuzzy tool for strings comparison in my case.

I have attached the sample file and the scores. As you can see that the scores do not reflect the correct matching in a few cases.

Is there any better way to make the Fuzzy tool work on this sort of data?

Thanks & Regards,

Ashish

Phill
8 - Asteroid

Thanks @DultonM your workflow is really helpful. I'm just trying to modify it so that I can compare all the data fields between two columns. Would that just be flipping it to purge? 

Labels