Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Comparing Numbers in Different Columns

JeremyN
8 - Asteroid

I have multiple number columns that I would like to compare that are initially strings.  I am converting these to doubles as they are numbers with decimal places.  Then I used the formula tool and divide one column by 100 to see if it equals another column.  These are not matching every time when I expect them to match.  Should I use different data types or are there certain tricks to ensure that checking for identical numbers works as intended?  I see that float/double can have rounding issues, but used double since I have decimal values.  Also, I'm not sure how to adjust for rounding issues.  Any advice would be great!

5 REPLIES 5
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Could you share some sample data for testing? How the comparison is made will depend on the field structure and the formulas will depend on the values you're working with. 

JeremyN
8 - Asteroid

Sure - see attached sample data.  It's a double at this point.

hbraunius
8 - Asteroid

Hi @JeremyN,

I tried using the round function for both numbers, and there were still values that did not match, even though the numbers looked identical. I ended up converting these doubles to string, and then back to number, and that seems to have fixed it.

Value 1 conversion calculation:

tonumber(tostring(round([Value1],0.01)/100),0.0001)

For some reason, 0.305 would not round properly if you round the value after you divide by 100.

Value 2 conversion calculation:

tonumber(tostring([Value2]),0.0001)

Thanks,
Hanna

benakesh
12 - Quasar

@JeremyN ,

After converting the numbers to fixed decimal  5  numbers don't match .

benakesh_0-1572316095865.png

Sumiya
5 - Atom

This is not working in the formula field. I have tried [Column1]=[Column2], with both are integer values.

Labels