Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Changing a numeric variable to date variable

dkberry
6 - Meteoroid

I currently have a numeric variable that represents a date. ex Feb 20, 2019 is called 20190220.

I would like to change this field so that Alteryx would recognize 20190220 as a date and not a number. I would like to then create a new date field that contains year and month or month and year, order isn't important so long as Alteryx sees a date. So 201902 would be transitioned to Feb-2019 (or any format that Alteryx would recognize as month/year). Thanks in advance for any help.

5 REPLIES 5
yalmar_m
11 - Bolide

Hi @dkberry,

I think a combination of the Select tool (to change the number to string), DateTime tool (to parse the number to a date) and the formula tool (to create the month-year you want to have) would work.

Please find my solution attached.

Best,

Yalmar

cplewis90
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

@dkberry here is a workflow that does what you are asking. It converts the date using the datetime tool and then a formula tool to create the month year field.

dkberry
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks so much. When I run your solution I create a variable similar to Apr 2018. The issue I'm now having is I'm unable to sort accurately by this new month variable. Is there a way to create a variable that resembles Apr 2018 but Alteryx will recognize as a date variable?

yalmar_m
11 - Bolide

Unfortunately you can't, you might want to sort on the Month (resulting from the DateTimeMonth([Date]) formula).

The format you described in sorted alphabetically.

cplewis90
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

@dkberry I have revised my solution to accommodate for this.

Labels