Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Cancel workflow on error still triggers downstream macro

sid
6 - Meteoroid

Hello

I have a macro where i have Success and Failure Outputs. When a job fails, the Success output gets 0 records. I then pass that to a message where i want it to fail on 0 records . If not 0 then it should trigger the next macro. I have cancel workflow on error set. But what happens is it triggers the downstream macro and then throws the error. How do i overcome this? 

Output LogOutput LogWorkflowWorkflowMessage ToolMessage Tool

6 REPLIES 6
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@sid,

How about a different approach?

Workflow runs ....

You can create an event for errors and an event for no errors.  Without errors, you run the next workflow.  With errors, you stop.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Knowledge-Base/Scheduling-Workflows-Using-Event-Run-Command...

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
sid
6 - Meteoroid

@

the macro that i am running is a generic macro that will run a workflow/app .So if i have a sequence of macros i dont want to run the downstream macros if the previous one failed. I saw other solutions with message and cancel workflow but for some reason it runs all the macros first and then it throws the error. 

fnoahbiro
6 - Meteoroid

Did you ever resolve this? I am having the same problem and it is driving me insane.

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @fnoahbiro 

If I understand you correctly you have a series of macros in order, and you only want  to run macro 2 if macro 1 succeeded?

I think that the way round this is instead of using standard macros, use Batch Macros - so if it fails, it doesn't pass on control to the next one.

If you can mock up a simple version of the problem, we can iterate quickly on this together!

I have found that if you change the mesage type from error to error- and stop passing records through this tool it works. It seems to be a bug that when only producing the error the workflow does not stop.

Joel_AkajeMacauley_0-1670510726699.png

I have found that if you change the mesage type from error to error- and stop passing records through this tool it works. It seems to be a bug that when only producing the error the workflow does not stop.

Joel_AkajeMacauley_0-1670510785903.png

Labels