Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Begin next run at Error

Not sure if this has been submitted... or if this option is already in a newer version.

There should be an option, after correcting an issue/error within a workflow for users to start again at the error point instead of running the entire workflow again.

This option will help users to streamline the process of building workflows and avoid wasted time spent waiting for large complex workflows to complete or error out.    

6 Comments
jhaugen
5 - Atom

From what I understand from Alteryx Inspire, in-workflow caching will be introduced in a future version.  It should help for a much quicker dev process.  I'm in the same boat anxiously awaiting this.   

ELPyatt123
7 - Meteor

Thanks for the reply. I was also at Inspire this year! Awesome conference! 

AlexKo
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Implemented

Caching's live in 2018.3!

It's not quite the same as what is described in terms of implementation, but please play with it and let us know what you think. If you could think of improvements we could make I'd love to hear about them.

jhaugen
5 - Atom

@AlexKo, I can cache the workflow in different spots by running the workflow multiple times, but it would be handy to be able to cache multiple inputs at different points in the workflow.  

I know that I can cache later on in the workflow, but if i have to make a change earlier in the workflow, sometimes it's tedious to re-run the workflow including the inputs.  I deal with a few databases that each input connection takes a significant amount of time to run.  So, it would help if i can select 3 different inputs to cache individually in one fell swoop regardless of where they are in the workflow. 

ELPyatt123
7 - Meteor

Awesome addition! Thank you for adding this feature as it shows that you guys really do listen to community when we discuss different pain points and suggest ideas to make the product better. It has already proven to be a huge time saver when troubleshooting complex workflows that process millions of records.

Questions: Did your testing show anything that users may need to look out for when using this new feature? Will the next update allow multiple cache points within a workflow?

Again, Kudos! 

AlexKo
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Thanks for the feedback @ELPyatt123 and @jhaugen! We're happy to hear that this has saved you some time.

To answer your questions, @ELPyatt123...

1. The main thing that you need to watch out for is really just an awareness of what can and cannot be cached. @SydneyF wrote an awesome article about this here: What Can't Be Cached?
  2. I'm very excited to share that our next version 2019.1 will include the ability to select and cache multiple streams in a workflow, such as multiple Input tools! The other restrictions will still apply, such as not being able to cache tools with multiple output anchors, or tools that are nested within "circles" as described in the article above, but we hope that this will be a great time-saver for our users.

Be sure to check it out and let us know what you think!