Alteryx Designer

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
SOLVED

Batch Macro to create Field Summary for each unique value in column

Highlighted
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

I am trying to create my first Batch Macro and I'm striking out.

I want to generate a Field Summary for each unique value in a specified column.

I then want to write that Field Summary output to a .XLSX on my desktop.

How can I do that?

I've attached a sample workflow. I want to generate a Field Summary for each VENDOR_ID.

Would it work if I filtered on each VENDOR_ID in the Batch Macro?

Capture.PNG

Highlighted
Alteryx Certified Partner

Hi @dmccandless 

A couple of pointers that will hopefully help:

• Your control parameter should be Vendor_ID (as this defines the groups that you want to pass through the macro)
  • For each run of the batch macro you will create a new results grid from the Field Summary tool and these will all be stacked (unioned) when all Vendor_IDs have been processed. You'll probably want to append a Vendor_ID column *after* the Field Summary runs but before the data is passed out of the macro so you can trace back which rows relate to which Vendor_ID.

Hope that's useful.

Highlighted

I went a step further and built out the workflow - let me know if this does the trick for you:

Screenshot 2019-07-11 at 16.46.17.pngScreenshot 2019-07-11 at 16.46.25.png

Highlighted

I've put something together that should achieve what you're looking for. I used a Field Info tool on the input data so each field name can be batched on (Control Parameter). Inside the batch macro, I used a Dynamic Select to only grab the field I'm interested in (redundant, but I like to be safe), then I use the Control Parameter again to update the selection in the Data Investigation tool. 

The Macro will batch through every field and output each field summary on a different sheet of the Excel file.  Check it out and let me know if it works for you. 

Highlighted
8 - Asteroid

Jamie,

Thanks for the prompt help and 'going the extra mile for me.'

I took your solution and added it onto it a bit, just to output each vendor's field summary to a new tab in the same Excel file.

Capture.PNG

Highlighted
8 - Asteroid

Charlie,

Thanks a ton. I wasn't going for a field summary for each field, but this is really powerful to have! Thanks

Highlighted
8 - Asteroid

I'm adding my final workflow.

Labels