Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Batch Macro not returning all iterations

robsuddaby
7 - Meteor

Hi all, I've got a batch macro that is calling an API to return records and perform some manipulation etc. It works within the macro itself and works when connected to the main workflow however, it doesn't return all results (i.e. 27 Report IDs inputted and only 6-7 Report ID details returned).

However, the Reports returned change each time it runs and insofar as I can tell, it's not the output of certain reports that is causing the issue, more that it can only bring back a small amount. There is an output connected to the macro, I believe the interface and macro are set up correctly and I've never had any issues with batch macros.

Other than the API limiting the number of records returned (I don't believe this is an issue but can't see any others at present), is there anything else obvious I'm missing here?

I can't share the workflow unfortunately as it contains external licence details but attached are a few screenshots of the set-up, many thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
patrick_mcauliffe
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

@robsuddaby  I would investigate limitations on the API.  Once you are absolutely certain that's not it, you may want to throttle the queries (Throttle tool.  Start at 100 and work down by 10's).  I have found that when using an API there are generally limits to how many queries per second you can submit even if that information isn't printed in the TOS.

robsuddaby
7 - Meteor

Hi Patrick, thanks for this. Yes, we're investigating with the supplier whether there are some limits in place and it appears there may be. However, we pull the data by selecting the start and end date for when the data is input and even when selecting only 1 day where there are 16 records, it is only pulling back 5. 

Started using the throttle tool as an interim solution and it works reasonably well but fingers crossed the provider can help me to understand the limits on the API.

robsuddaby
7 - Meteor

OK we found the API limits (1 per second or 50 per minute) but the throttle tool wasn't working as it still seemed to allow the batch macro to process all calls at the same time but luckily the Wait a Second CReW macro pauses each call and circumvents the limit :) 

Labels