Alteryx Designer

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
Register for the upcoming Live Community Q&A Session - and don't forget to submit your questions for @DeanS regarding the future role of analytics here.

Base Map not displayed on Map Interface

Highlighted
8 - Asteroid

When running the example App for the Map Interface tool (Help -> Sample Workflows -> Learn one tool at a time -> Interface -> Map), the base map - Carto (position) does not appear to display, making the map input ineffective.  I am able to see the carto (position) base map when working with the report map, and spatial objects so it is available on my system.  In fact when I select a point on the map interface and finish running the app the results do not show that a base layer was selected at all, but I can manually select the base layer in the results window and get it to display correctly.

A picture is worth a 1000 words, so I have attached a few showing the configuration and behavior that I am describing.

Initial Configuration of Map Interface - base map is selectedInitial Configuration of Map Interface - base map is selected

Running the app - no base map is displayedRunning the app - no base map is displayed

Map Input config that will be displayed in results window - base map is selectedMap Input config that will be displayed in results window - base map is selected

Results window - no base map is selected (or displayed)Results window - no base map is selected (or displayed)

Result window after manually selecting base map, so it is available on the systemResult window after manually selecting base map, so it is available on the system

Highlighted
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

@bkclaw113 ,

I am not able to replicate the issue you are seeing. When I choose the wand to show the app, the maps display. They take a second to load, but they load properly. What version of Alteryx are you on?

DanM

Highlighted
8 - Asteroid

Version 2018.3

I do not doubt that the workflow works for most people.  I am guessing that there is something particular to my setup that is causing the issue and just have not idea what to investigate.  I should probably just email support with this.

Highlighted
Alteryx
Alteryx

@bkclaw113 @DanM 

If you display the xml for the tool, there is a tag called <JSMapSettings>.  I do not know why, but it seems that your default probably does not include "base":true.  Perhaps you pulled the tool down from the palette.  Perhaps it is set some place like in the User Settings.

Regardless, there's a simple fix:  When the interface window displays, click on the overlay icon, and check the box beside Base.

Click on overlay icon.pngBase map checkbox.png

Lisa LePome
Senior Customer Support Engineer -- Knowledge Management Coach
Alteryx, Inc.
Highlighted
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for the detailed posting, but unfortunately I already did try adjusting the layers.  The Base layer is showing as checked when I initially run the app.  I have uncheck and rechecked, but still no map displayed.

Highlighted
Alteryx
Alteryx

@bkclaw113 

Are you using a proxy?  That could make a difference.

Lisa LePome
Alteryx, Inc.
Highlighted
7 - Meteor

we, like a lot of large companies, use a proxy. i am unable to get the basemap to show up when using the map input tool. it works fine on desktop, but not as an analytic app or a gallery app.

we don't even get the Base checkbox to show up when running the app.

any ideas on why the map input tool won't work with a proxy, and thoughts on how to remedy?

designer 2019.1

thanks

Highlighted
Alteryx
Alteryx

@michael_team @bkclaw113 
The behavior you describe is now being tracked as a defect.  (If you have only installed data from 2018 Q3 or older, you may not have the correct whitelisting, but that was updated for data 2008 Q4 and more recent.)

Lisa LePome
Alteryx, Inc.
Labels