Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Application to load multiple files at once in gallery

Andrzej
8 - Asteroid

Hi all, 

I want to create an app with the possibility to load multiple excel files at once. All excel files will have this same structure and one sheet. This app is going to be available in the gallery, so I cannot use the folder browse tool. What other possibilities do I have? 

10 REPLIES 10
wwatson
12 - Quasar

an input tool can read multiple files into a single unioned table of data. Does that do what you need?

szade1
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Andrzej ,

This can be achieved using Input tool.

Once you import the file on the canvas, use the wildcard character to make the file name dynamic. dynamic.

szade1_0-1595851994929.png

(Select option 5 id required)

Hope it helps!

thanks,

S.

echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Do you have access to a shared drive? You could use a text input and have the user put the folder path where the files are located. From there, an action tool would update the input tool for only the path part of the input and would read in all files when running the workflow.

It is not possible to do this using the standard input functionalities without a shared drive or something similar because you are essentially "uploading" the files when you use the file browse tool. It is for security reasons that you cannot use the folder browse on the gallery.

Hope this helps!

Andrzej
8 - Asteroid

Hi @szade1 

I don't know how can I use an application with this solution. How should I configure file browse and action tools?

Andrzej
8 - Asteroid

Hu @echuong1 

I have access to Shared Drive and my Alteryx app is saving results there. However, customer using application will not have access to shared drive. He will be loading excels directly from his desktop. Is this solution possible in this case? 

wwatson
12 - Quasar

Can you have your customer put the files on a shared drive folder that you have access to? Then your app could pull the files from his server and save them to yours.

as @echuong1  says you won't be able to use the file browse on Alteryx server. Alteryx Server would not have access to your customer's C:Drive.

Andrzej
8 - Asteroid

@wwatson 

I will check if it is possible to grant him access, thank you. 

Why Alteryx server will not be able to access his C:drive. It is able to access mine. As I said I am not using "normal workflow", but the application and when I am running app on the server I am able to use file browse tool and access my C:drive

echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

As mentioned, you are essentially uploading the file when you use the file browse on Gallery. The uploaded data is used to run the workflow. It accesses your C:drive when uploading the file, but not after. It is not possible to access your C:drive when actually running the workflow due to security concerns. You're not actually accessing the C:drive when you click run.

The only way around this is to have the workflow point to a shared drive and have it pull the files when running. This will work as long as the Alteryx service has access to the shared drive.

Alternatively, if you don't have too many input files you can have a separate input tool and file browse for each, and then union all together. 

Andrzej
8 - Asteroid

@echuong1 

Ok, I understand it know, thank you 🙂 

Labels