Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Analytics app : Select & rename multiple fields

Joemu
5 - Atom

Dear All,  I'm currently working on an analytic app and I was wondering if there is some way to select multiple fields and at the same time rename these fields  ?

I have already tried (find my app enclosed) but I think there is better way:  Firstly, I used Select Tool connected to List Box for allowing a user to choose which field he wants, then I use a Test Box for renaming a column Name, 

the issue is a Text Box is related to a particular "rename field". So if I decide to choose a field which isn't defined in the Text box, I wouldn't be able to rename the right field. 

So, i want to know if you know a better way with analytics app to select fields and meanwhile rename these selected fields

For example :

1/ "Select the right field"

The user have to choose various fields

2/ Rename the selected field

The user will be able to rename the selected field

thank you in advance

2 REPLIES 2
NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

I would recommend giving the Dynamic Rename tool a try! It's one of my favorites for flexibility, and fairly simple to configure for this scenario... see attached for an example. 

Your List Box should be configured as Select Tool Mode, and then the action tool will "Update Field List", which basically means the Dynamic Rename tool will be updated to only select those fields you indicate in your List Box. Then you will have a default rename value in the Dynamic Rename tool that will be updated by whatever you put in your Text Box (you will need to account for adding quotes around the text to get it to work correctly).

AnalyticRename.JPG

NOTE: If you select more than one field, whatever your rename value is will be appended by 2, 3, etc. for fields after the first one. So if you select 3 fields, and rename it to "var", you'll get a "var", "var2", and "var3" as your renamed columns.

Hope this helps! 

Cheers,

NJ

Joemu
5 - Atom

Thank you Nicole for your help !

That gave me some idea to move on ! 

Labels