Alteryx Designer

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

Analytic App

Highlighted
7 - Meteor

Hello! I have a workflow that takes 3 monthly files, combines them, filters out unwanted rows, and creates a new file that quarterly file. I have successfully gotten that far, but now I am wanting to make it more user friendly for my superior. They are wanting it to be able to make a Quarterly output file that just includes 1 month's data, if need be. So if they get just one month's file, they can still run the workflow and get an output file, even though the other 2 months files will not be ran through the workflow. Let me know if I need to explain that better. I have made a simple app already, but now I am wanting to change it to just take 1 or 2 months at a time instead of the usual 3 months. 

KaylReiter_0-1593183704727.png

KaylReiter_1-1593183738879.png

Thank you!

Highlighted
16 - Nebula

Do the monthly files have the same structure?

If so, I'm thinking that you can use the interface tools to generate a list of 1-3 filenames (and paths) that you can use as the input to a dynamic input tool that will combine the data from all files in the list to a single data set.

Highlighted
7 - Meteor

Yes, the monthly files have the same structure. can you give me an example screenshot?

Highlighted
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hey @KaylReiter

I would look into potentially using the check box and Conditional Interface Tools to make the 2nd and 3rd file optional. 

By using the combination of the two you can allow the user to Manually Select if they have a second or third file they would like to use. That selection will enable or disable the container for the input of the optional files. 

Hopefully this points you in the right direction. Let me know if you have questions. Capture.PNG

Highlighted
16 - Nebula

I was thinking of something like this

DavidP_0-1593187848643.png

Highlighted
7 - Meteor

@NicholasM  I am trying your route. But I am confused how I am supposed to connect them because if a month is checked, it then disables the other ones. Is there another interactive tool I should used instead?

KaylReiter_0-1593196599827.png

Highlighted
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hey @KaylReiter,

I apologize, I should have been more precise on my first post. In this current set up, I would leave the tool containers containing the optional inputs collapsed, that way if the user selects to include the file, it will un-collapse the container. Also, I made the mistake of include the file browse options inside the container, they should be placed outside. 

I have made some modifications and have included a great example. Feel free to pick through it and let me know where this needs to change. 

Best, 

Nick Michels

Highlighted
7 - Meteor

@NicholasM thank you so much for your help! Now the problem is that my Join Multiple tool errors because I have the 3 inputs selected. (I have to use a Join Multiple tool because I have to be able to process my data side by side, unfortunately) Should I put the JM tool in a tool container as well?

KaylReiter_0-1593202785939.png

Highlighted
7 - Meteor

I have tried connecting each months checkbox and true value to an action tool that connects to the multiple join tool, but that did not work either. Any thoughts?

Highlighted
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hey @KaylReiter sorry for the delayed response. I believe the Join Multiple is expecting inputs, meaning when there is a missing string it will through an error. 

I would try giving this a shot, using the union tool to avoid the error.

1) Try to transpose your data-sets before the join. This will get everything in a Name - Value Pair, Potentially you may want to put a record ID on starting at 1, the other starting at 10,000 before the transpose to add as a key column. 

2) Union necessary data sets. This tool can expect on or many. 

3) Cross-tab data back to original format. 

Capture.PNG

Labels