Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Alteryx can dynamically pull Excel sheet names! Part 3

seven
12 - Quasar

In part 1, I gave an overview of how Alteryx can now pull Excel sheet names dynamically.

In part 2, I discussed the macro in depth.

Here in part 3, I will release some additional exemplars and macros.

The Python Excel Sheet Name Fetcher solves the puzzle of dynamically reading Excel files. It is part of a larger solution to fetch the data. That was demonstrated in a simple version as the Python Excel Exemplar. There is a more complicated and complete solution released here as Excel File Extractor Exemplar. This is a macro, pictured below, that can act as a standalone directory reader and is inspired by @CameronS.

image.png

The macro interface, pictured below, features the familiar Directory Tool options, includes a checklist for filtering on specific file types, the ability to specify specific sheet names, if known, as well as the option to pull only field list metadata instead of full data.

image.png

Because it includes the Python Excel Sheet Name Fetcher, one must install the needed Python dependencies by using the Run Me installer workflow as an admin.

Stay tuned for the final post.

In part 1, I gave an overview of my solution.

In part 2, I discussed the macro in depth.

In part 4, I will delve further into the Python script, why I made certain design choices, and some performance metrics.

1 REPLY 1
seven
12 - Quasar

New post, part 4!

Click here.

Labels