Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Alteryx being setup on AWS Workspace, when AWS Workspace is not connected to the internet

jgraham
6 - Meteoroid

I was using Alteryx without issues on my PC.  My company went to AWS and setup a AWS Workspace for me in order to have remote access to our data files, which now reside on AWS.  I can get the license over to AWS and setup/run Alteryx, but each time I close down AWS I have to redo the license when I come back into AWS.  Does anyone have a solution for this?  I don't want to have to keep dong this, as I cannot then setup Alteryx App to run.

7 REPLIES 7
TrevorS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hello @jgraham,

This would most likely be due to the AWS environment. The way the licensing works for Alteryx is that it will apply to the serial number and machineID that the license key is activated with. If your AWS environment does not retain the same machineID for each login, your license activation will not remain applied to your machine. 
Please check with your IT department regarding the AWS settings, and for further licensing support please reach out to Fulfillment@alteryx.com.

Thanks!

TrevorS

Community Moderator
jgraham
6 - Meteoroid

TrevorS,

I appreciate the reply and information. The same "device/machine" number or identification is retained.

My IT group has been working on this, and I think we have a solution. I need to understand better what they did and I will try to post it.

Thank you,

[cid:image001.png@01D2D951.54ED6C70]

JAMES (JIM) GRAHAM, MA
CPF
SUPPLY CHAIN ENGINEER
PROFESSIONAL SERVICES

jgraham
6 - Meteoroid

We were able to come up with a solution.  AWS Workspace does assign a specific device/machine number.  The key was taking my license off my computer entirely, and then installing Alteryx on the Workspace as a stand alone machine WITHOUT access to the internet.  Then we needed to reassign the license, and had to make sure the license information was in a file on the Workspace that could be accessed.  If the Workspace has access to the internet it may work differently.  Good news, we were able to get it to work.  

afox1
6 - Meteoroid

jgraham,

Were you installing the "standard" Designer license on your AWS Workspace, or did you have to use the "Alteryx Designer on Server OS" version of Designer?  I ask because we have a small group that's moved to AWS Workspaces recently,  and they are unable to install the same version of Designer they had on their traditional laptops.  It's giving the error: " A license key could not be activated because it is not valid for server or virtual environments."

Andy

jgraham
6 - Meteoroid
Andy,

I'm loading a Designer for a PC, not a server. I'm sure you know you do have to have internet access in the AWS Workspace for the download to work.

Part of this is making sure the license is tied to the right machine, and I will say on the original transfer from my PC to AWS I had some issues getting everything to be accepted. It took several tries. Also, there are some Alteryx screens which ask for your information and where you would eventually "paste the key" for activation. On that screen it will show your email address (prefilled in). To make things work, I had to reenter my email address. I don't know why or what it triggered, but it helped work. This may be corrected since I did the original down load.

First, thing I had to get straight in my mind - AWS does not access my PC, it accesses files on the network. So I cannot place files on the PC I expect AWS to access - have to save to my network file.

Second, I had to remember to do all of my requests from AWS Workspace side.

Third, for Alteryx download, is trying to understand the "machine code" the license is being assigned. Your AWS administrator will need to assist in getting the machine to use. This was needed for my original install, as you had to assign the license to the "AWS machine."

Fourth, I had to deactivate Alteryx on my PC, and reactivate on my AWS machine - this is why the above knowledge is needed before you start the move over.

I installed it as an "off line computer"

[cid:image001.jpg@01D5107D.A3EAAD00]

You need have to create the request which will provide you a "REQ" file which you save to a drive on our computer (in this case a file in the AWS space.

Then you go to the Alteryx Designer portal - https://gallery.alteryx.com/?ref=downloads#!account

On the Downloads & Licenses screen in the portal, you will see in the "Announcements" box the last line of "To Activate on a computer that is offline, see "Upload Activation Request." If you clink on this, then you see the "Upload Activation Request," which will be a "BIN" file. You get the BIN file by using the "Choose" file - which will be the REQ file that was requested and you saved. Save the file again, on a drive that is accessible from AWS.

Part of this is making sure the license is tied to the right machine, and I will say on the original transfer from my PC to AWS I had some issues getting everything to be accepted. It took several tries. Also, there are some Alteryx screens which ask for your information and where you would eventually "paste the key" for activation. On that screen it will show your email address (prefilled in). To make things work, I had to reenter my email address. I don't know why or what it triggered, but it helped work. This may be corrected since I did the original down load.

[cid:image005.jpg@01D51081.117084F0]
[cid:image007.jpg@01D51081.117084F0]

Please let me know if this helped.

Thank you,

Jim
jgraham
6 - Meteoroid

My original reply may have been a little long winded.

A simple keys to movement from the PC to the ASW Workspace are:

• You have to deactivate Alteryx on your PC, removing the files.
  • Activate it as a new install on AWS.
  • Install will be as a stand alone device for the activation process.  You can follow the Alteryx instructions for this.
  • You must know the “machine” ID of your AWS Workspace to do the assignment.
  • Have to have access to the internet.

Thank you,

AndrewSu
Alteryx
Alteryx

@jgraham , thanks for your contribution to the community! 

Please mark this response as the solution in order to can clean up the threads so others in the community can benefit from the knowledge you've shared here.

Thanks. 

Labels