Alteryx Designer

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
Andy Uttley, Alteryx ACE, makes music with Alteryx | Math + Music

Alteryx Scheduling on Gallery - Output Files not saving to desktop

Highlighted
5 - Atom

Hello,

I recently started to use the scheduling feature through the Alteryx gallery. Unfortunately when I use this, my output files don't save to my desktop like they are supposed to, but rather are only output to the gallery website. I have other tasks set up in windows task scheduler to grab these files from my desktop, format them and upload them to sharepoint. I want the entire process to be automated, so I need these files to save to my desktop after the workflow runs and not the gallery. I understand Alteryx offers a version with a desktop scheduler, however unfortunately my company will not allow me to get that version, so I am only able to use the scheduler on the gallery. Does anyone know any way I can schedule my workflow to run on the gallery but output my files to my desktop like it was intended to do so when I created the workflow? Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Highlighted
Alteryx Certified Partner
Alteryx Certified Partner

Hi @rachellauf,

It sounds as though you're scheduling to Alteryx Server. You won't be able to output the results of a scheduled workflow on Server to your desktop as the machine running your workflow will not have access to "your" desktop. Could you not save the file to a company shared drive both you and the machine running Alteryx Server has access to?

If this solves your issue please mark the answer as correct, if not let me know!

Regards,

Jonathan

Highlighted
5 - Atom

Hi @Jonathan-Sherman 

Thanks for the reply. I have tried to upload to sharepoint directly but have had some issues with that. I can successfully upload one excel file with one sheet to sharepoint, but can't figure out how to upload an excel file with multiple sheets which is what I need. I've tried using the block until done tool but that didn't help. Additionally I have had troubles uploading to sharepoint when I want to replace an existing file it will give me an error. 

Is there any way to give the alteryx gallery running my workflow access to my desktop? Or is that not a possibility? If my workflow was designed to export my files to my desktop and the only way I can schedule my workflow is through the gallery, I would think the gallery would have some sort of capability to run the workflow as it was designed. And if not, then maybe that is good suggestion for that capability to be implemented in the future. Maybe the only solution here is to use the Alteryx version with the desktop scheduler, but I imagine there may be other people out there like myself where my company only allows me to have the version with the gallery scheduler. 

Highlighted
Alteryx
Alteryx

It is not possible for a workflow running on Alteryx Gallery/Server to export files to your desktop for security reasons. Essentially, when you run a workflow on Server your input files are being uploaded to the Server that your company has set up. From there, it is using the processing power on Server to run your workflow. It is for the same reason that you cannot use the Directory tool on the Server. 

If you would like your results in a central location other than the Gallery, you can have the workflow output to a shared drive. When you save your workflow, ensure the output is not checked as an asset.

Hope this helps!

Labels