Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Alteryx 'Run Command' on Gallery | Workflow Stuck

maier_alexander_MO
8 - Asteroid

Hi all,

i used the attached solution to open the Excel file after it is Rendered and output to the network drive. For this I used the 'Block Until Done' feature and then open the Excel file via the 'Run Command':

Even though everything works perfectly fine on the desktop version, when uploading the workflow to the server, the workflow keeps stuck on JobStatus 'Running'.

Do you have any idea what could be the reason for this? 

Thank you very much for your help in advance!

Kind regards,

Alex

6 REPLIES 6
afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @maier_alexander_MO,

Do you have access to the gallery server? I would recommend you to to try and run the command directly on the server and see what happens.

Also, do you have on the server office installed? It is not usual to have that package there, maybe thats what you are missing.

Regards

maier_alexander_MO
8 - Asteroid

Hi @afv2688 ,

that is a really good point..I do not think the office is installed on the Alteryx Server so that will probably be it.

The workflow runs as expected on the desktop version but not in the gallery.

Is there a way to open Excel File from a network drive without Excel being installed on the Server?

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

You could write your layout file on a yxdb (on the block until done outputs, first tool to render, second to write to a yxdb and third to run the command), then you could ask with the run command to open the yxdb output. Thats the only thing that comes to my mind, using it as a browse tool.

Regards

maier_alexander_MO
8 - Asteroid

Hello @afv2688 ,

thank you very much for your quick reply and the idea to use the step with a yxdb database in between. Sadly the formatting of the data is quite important and cannot be achieved with the yxdb file.

But your input helped a lot and I will talk to our IT if it is an option to install Office on the Alteryx Server.

Have a great week and kind regards,

Alex

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Have you considered showing the outputs directly on the gallery? Using the temp files on another second render tool your users should be able to get them directly from the gallery.

Here is an example:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Server-Discussions/Alteryx-Gallery-Output-Data-Same-Web-Pag...

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Regards

maier_alexander_MO
8 - Asteroid

Hi @afv2688 ,

thank you very much for your help! This is a real good option for as long as there is no Excel installed on our Alteryx Server - at least the Excel file can then be manually opened on the Gallery 🙂

Have a great day and kind regards,

Alex

Labels