Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Allow caching of multiple tools at the same time

Some of the workflows I use have multiple inputs that can take a long time to initially load. The new cache function itself has been amazing, but there is one big drawback for me: I can't cache multiple tools at the same time.  Alteryx will allow me to eventually cache all of the tools I want cached, but it will take multiple times running the file.  This still saves me time in the end, but it feels a bit cumbersome to set up.

46 Comments
jeff_reynolds
10 - Fireball

I've posted this in other threads, but can we please get the Cache Data option back on the Input tool? I'm about ready to revert to a previous version as I'm apt to forget that it's not cached. I probably wasted an hour yesterday, re-pulling data on a complex flow because I mad a change to the downstream data cache. 

Atabarezz
13 - Pulsar

+1 this will really save some more time for me too...

simonpain
5 - Atom

I would like a feature similar to that requested by jeff_reynolds but available anywhere in the process flow.

I have a download tool making 33 API requests. I want to be able to cache this to save time and API credits.

1.png

This is followed by some XML parsing that also takes a long time so I may want to cache those as well.

There are two problems when I do this:

1. When I choose "cache" after the XML parse this immediately throws away the cache of the Download tool and re-runs the entire workflow to create the new cache.
  2. If I then want to make a change to the XML it throws away all the caches and starts again from fresh as it doesn't have the Download tool output cache any more.

2.png

It would be really good if as well as side-by-side caches as in the original request we could have end-on-end caches at multiple levels. Something like this:

3.png

Thanks

Simon

sprodger
8 - Asteroid

+1 this would be perfect.

As mentioned, the ability to cache further tools in the workflow without having to re-run everything would also be ideal. 

RachelW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Accepted

Atabarezz
13 - Pulsar

great news...

spblackshaw
7 - Meteor

Hi, can you please advise what the next steps are with the Status change to Accepted?

MichaelMains
7 - Meteor

I think the next status is "Coming Soon" if they decide to implement it.  I'm not sure though.

MichaelMains
7 - Meteor

This is great news, @RachelW

Does this mean it will be implemented?

RachelW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Accepted is the new status for On the Roadmap. We will be making this improvement in an upcoming release.