Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Advanced way to use the transpose tool

legwu
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Alteryx Community,

I have a very odd question about how to use the Alteryx Transpose tool.

I need to transpose a table so that rather than fields at the top, they become a data value in a column, and the corresponding value in the original table is given in a third column (for Tableau use). I have attached a before and after example in the excel file.

However, I have been given a dataset with many table pushed together. I have attached an example with two tables, but I have been given around 30-40.

I am currently using 'Filter' to separate each table and 'Transpose' to do the transposing. Is there any way I could use a data row (for example, Row 6 in the 'Before' tab) for transpose?

I can currently separating each table and transposing and it is a pain.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Hannah_Lissaman
11 - Bolide

Hi @legwu 

Try this - I have used a Multi-Row Formula to assign an ID to each table, then split out header rows and value rows using a Filter. I can then transpose the headers and values separately, and join back together based on the column names and table ID. Please connect the attached workflow to your sample data to see it in action.

Hannah_Lissaman_0-1589968503997.png

legwu
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you very much for this. I have tried it on the 20-30 table data set and it worked. Much appreciated.

Labels