Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Add command line installation of YXI files

I'm only just starting to explore the python and html sdks, but I think this functionality would be really useful for Alteryx tools.

I foresee cases where a custom tool is developed and we want to install it for 20+ users.  Rather than having each user manually open and install the file, and troubleshooting for each of them (which could also become challenging if we want to deploy an enhancement to a tool in the future), I'd like a method (preferably via command line) to automatically install a tool for a user without any interaction/input.

This would allow for targeted tool deployment as well as large-scale tool maintenance as custom Python tools mature in the enterprise space.

6 Comments
SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@LizaNemchynova + @AshwiniChezhiyan + @JoshKushner

Absolutely agree with the need - and we're hoping that we can push these tools out to the designer clients from the central server.

Have a look at this one @Claje

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Server-Ideas/Server-as-a-hub-for-deploying-and-controlling-...

once we get this right - we then trip over the dependancy issue - when you update your shared macro to the new version, there's no uplift of the flows that are using this.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Server-Ideas/Deep-versioning-of-shared-assets/idi-p/166793

dataMack
12 - Quasar
Adding my vote to this one as well! As Alteryx is removing a lot of the Data Connector tools from the default install and forcing users to get them from Gallery (https://gallery.alteryx.com/#!districts/57278188aa690a0f90abb918), it would be nice to permit command line installs of YXI files so that they can be coordinated in bulk, or even packaged with Designer for our users.
BlytheE
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Under Review

BlytheE
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Accepted

chrisha
11 - Bolide

Has this already been implemented for Designer/Server? I know that there is a command line-way to install yxi's to AAH, but could not find information for Designer.

VojtechT
Alteryx
Alteryx
Status changed to: Implemented

The new generation of tools using AMP SDK v2 allows for installation from command line since they just need to be unzipped into the Tools folder. To find out if a particular connector is using this version of SDK just look for DCM support - if the connector supports DCM, it's AMP SDK v2. Otherwise that connector is still pending refactoring into the latest SDK.