Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Add a pre-configured tool to the palette

Stringpark
6 - Meteoroid

Hello!

Anybody know of a way to add a pre-configured tool to the tool palette? There is one particular Excel file/worksheet combo that I use frequently. Instead of dragging a blank input tool onto the canvas, browsing to the file on the network, selecting the proper worksheet, and then modifying workflow dependencies to use UNC, I'd like to simply configure the input tool for the file I frequently use it and add that as a pre-configured tool to the palette.

I suppose I could create a macro with just the configured input tool, but I fear this would add complexity when trying to share the workflow.

5 REPLIES 5
wdavis
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Stringpark 

One option would be to create a workflow that was essentially just a framework and would contain only the input tool correctly configured. Then you would be able to then duplicate that workflow and add any additional tools afterwards.

This as you say may make it easier to share the workflow. As you rightly pointed out, the other option would be to create a Macro with this configuration contained within.

Kind Regards

Will

jacob_kahn
12 - Quasar

I would totally go with the Macro version and then add to your shared macros folder!

Wish there was a way to save or copy and paste the configuration of a tool to another tool - I've added this in the Designer Ideas!

wdavis
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @jacob_kahn 

That's a great idea. Do you want to post a link to that idea onto this thread? This can help to build up support for your idea. I'm sure @Stringpark would also want to push this idea!

Will

Stringpark
6 - Meteoroid

Awesome, thank you both!

Labels