Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Ability to run individual tools

I would like to see some functionality that would allow the user to select a specific tool(s) and run them. It looks like the workflow caches data at each tool so it should be doable to make it where i can run a specific tool from any point.

I know for me, i often run my new workflow and have forgotten a browse somewhere then have to add it and run the whole thing. Instead it would be ideal to be able to insert my browse like normal and select the tool before that browse and run just that one.

Do you guys think this would also be a useful capability?

6 Comments
SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey Nick,

agree with the need - I've logged a similar one here (I think that we're both expressing the same need, from different approaches)

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Product-Ideas/Restart-from-Here/idi-p/46506

Daniel_dup_81
5 - Atom

I absolutely agree. This feature is essential when building large workflows in conjunction with the ability to cache data at any tool. This way, the user can turn on a cache say after a big join, run the work flow, and then select a tool after the cache, right click it and select run until this tool. Rather than running the entire workflow, it will start from the closest cache point and run only until the selected tool.

(FYI: SPSS Modeler includes this feature)

AlexKo
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Accepted

AlexKo
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Coming Soon

Thanks for the input @Nick_Yarbrough. The concept is a bit different, but I'm excited to announce that we'll have a version of caching in 2018.3, coming soon!

Stay tuned. We'd love to hear your feedback once you get a chance to play with it.

AlexKo
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Implemented

Hi @Nick_Yarbrough

Caching's in 2018.3.

It's not quite the same as what is described in terms of implementation, but please play with it and let us know what you think. If you could think of improvements we could make I'd love to hear about them.

Nick_Yarbrough
8 - Asteroid

Thanks all!!

Nick

Alteryx 11.7.4