This site uses different types of cookies, including analytics and functional cookies (its own and from other sites). To change your cookie settings or find out more, click here. If you continue browsing our website, you accept these cookies.
You are trying to install a YXI file and the following message appears:
An error occurred during installation of the Python tool. Exception:
Exception is a generic error message. Frequently, the root cause of this error is related to long file path names when running Windows 10. The following instructions resolve this error when it is caused by long file path names.
Please note that the following steps require administrator rights
1. Open Registry Editor(regedit.exe)
2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem
3. Right-click on the key and select Export for backup (save the resulting file in a safe place with a meaningful name, like Before_LongPathsEnabled.reg for example)
4. Change the value of the LongPathsEnabled keyfrom 0 to 1
5. Install YXI file
Note: Restarting computer is sometimes needed to enable change
If provided solution is not possible due to lack of administrator permission for example, then one could use following steps.
The idea is to temporarily shorten the temporary path used during Python module installation. To proceed, we create a temporary drive (T: in following example), then we start Designer to proceed with tool installation, and finally we remove the drive.
1. Open a command prompt and enter the following commands :
subst T: %TEMP%
If T: drive is already in use on your machine then choose another one that is available
You may need to replace "%PROGRAMFILES%\Alteryx" depending on your configuration
2. In Alteryx Designer, click on menu Edit, Open and locate the YXI file for installation
3. Following the installation, close Alteryx Designer
4. Go back to the command prompt and type:
subst T: /D
5. Close the command prompt
As Exception is a generic message, if these troubleshooting steps do not fix your issue please post to Alteryx Community or contact email@example.com.