community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx Designer Knowledge Base

Definitive answers from Designer experts.

YXI - Understanding the installation process for Python-based tools

Created on

Question

With the introduction of Python SDK, Alteryx Designer supports the installation of YXI files for Python-based tools. What happens during the installation process for one of these tools? 

Answer

Note: The following is based on 2018.4. Each command is assumed to be prefixed with %ALTERYXDIR%\bin\Miniconda3\python.exe.

Example: C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin\Miniconda3\python.exe -m venv c:\temp\my_tool

General Process after running a YXI file

1. The contents of the YXI file are uncompressed (unzipped) in %DESTINATION_PATH% (see Tools Location). Please note that multiple tools could be installed with a single YXI.

2. A Python environment is created for the tool.

-m venv %DESTINATION_PATH%

Note: Following this step, the tool folder should have the following structure: 

python_default_structure.png

If any of these components are missing, the tool is not installed correctly.

3. pip (the Python package manager) is upgraded in the Python environment.

-m pip install --upgrade pip

4. setuptools (a library for Python package support) is upgraded in the Python environment.

-m pip install --upgrade setuptools

5. Any tool dependencies are installed in the Python environment.

-m pip install --disable-pip-version-check -r requirements.txt --log PythonDependencyInstall.log

Errors and Cancellation

Tool folder will be deleted if: 

• user cancels the installation 
  • an error occurs and user click on OK

Logs 

File PythonDependencyInstall.log contains the logs for tool installation 

Tool Location: 

By default, tools are installed under:

%APPDATA%\Alteryx\Tools (ex: C:\users\My_Account\AppData\Roaming\Alteryx\Tools) for current user

%PROGRAMDATA%\Alteryx\Tools (ex: C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\Tools) for all users

Example of use case:

Following is only provided as an example. Should you face an error during the installation of one of the tools, please contact Alteryx Customer Support (support@alteryx.com). 

Spoiler

Imagine that want to investigate the following error message during the installation of azure_data_lake_input_v1.0.2.yxi.

AzureDataLakeInstallError.png

As the installation window only returns the last error message, you may need to dig further. 

By proceeding with a manual installation, you can obtain more details.

The process is as follows:

1. Rename azure_data_lake_v1.0.2.yxi to azure_data_lake_v1.0.2.zip and uncompress folder azure_data_lake_input_v1.0.2 to C:\users\%Your_Account%\AppData\Roaming\Alteryx\Tools\azure_data_lake_input_v1.0.2 (%Your_Account% should match your Windows login)

2. Open a command prompt (cmd.exe)

3. Create the Python environment for the tool (based on default path):

C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin\Miniconda3\python.exe -m venv C:\users\%Your_Account%\AppData\Roaming\Alteryx\Tools\azure_data_lake_input_v1.0.2

4. Change to tool folder and proceed with package updates and dependency installations:

cd C:\users\%Your_Account%\AppData\Roaming\Alteryx\Tools\azure_data_lake_input_v1.0.2
Scripts\python.exe -m pip install --upgrade pip Scripts\python.exe -m pip install --upgrade setuptools Scripts\python.exe -m pip install --disable-pip-version-check -r requirements.txt --log PythonDependencyInstall.log

In this particular example your trace showed the following error:

azure_error.png

This message indicates there was a problem confirming the SSL certificate from pypi. It is a clue regarding the cause of the issue and its solution.

This specific issue can be fixed with the following steps:

1. Create File pip.ini (case is important) under %APPDATA%\pip (example C:\Users\my_account\AppData\Roaming\pip where my_account is the Windows login).
    pip folder will have to be created if it does not already exist.

2. Open pip.ini and add the following content:
[global]
trusted-host = pypi.python.org
               pypi.org
               files.pythonhosted.org

3. Install tool again

Comments
Asteroid
Nice post Question - 1. If i encounter issue after installing ex - not able to view the icon on the toolbar how troubleshoot - https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Salesforce-Input-V4-0-0-alteryx-2018-3... 2. If i use yxmc tool - i can insert with right click insert macro - does Python tools will have the ability ?

Hi @sathiya,

Thank you for your message and happy new year.

The article is specific to the installation process and therefore does not cover your 2 questions. I can see that your first point is already in progress with a Customer Support Engineer. Any tools installed with Alteryx will be available via right click.

Kind regards,

Paul Noirel

Sr Customer Support Engineer, Alteryx

Fireball

@PaulN -

Is the last line of #4 meant to read "pip.exe" instead of "python.exe"? Or possibly missing "-m pip"?

Good catch @c2willis!

I have amended the post.

Thanks again!!

Paul Noirel

Sr Customer Support Engineer, Alteryx

Hi,

I am having this same issue as described in the post (for the google big query connector not azure). However, I have tried the solution and it is still giving the same error. Any idea what else I can try?

Many thanks,

Ed

Hi @EdwardNSG,

Thank you for posting!

Could you please post a screenshot of your pip.ini file and of the error on the command line please?

Thanks,

PaulN

Hi Paul,

It was my company firewall. I contacted support and they provided me with offline versions to download so its all working now. Thank you though.

Regards,

Ed

http://www.nsg.com/disclaimer