Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Knowledge Base

Definitive answers from Designer Desktop experts.

XML Parse tool does not detect specific child

ntobon
Alteryx
Alteryx
Created
  • Alteryx Designer
    • Version 2020.4

When trying to parse a specific child value, Alteryx Designer does not recognize the value, despite it being present.

The following message is displayed:

Warning: XML Parse (2): No XML Elements named "int" were found.

The Result window shows all values of child as [Null] :

The XML Parse tool works fine in version 2020.3 and previous versions. The Warning message is not displayed and the child values are displayed:

Defect DE28334

WORKAROUND: 

Use Formula tool to remove the "a:" from the DownloadData field.  Using below expressions remove any single letter and a following colon from tags.

Comments
hellyars
13 - Pulsar

@ntobon Thank you.  This impacts 100+ of my workflows.  I continue to use 2020.3 to avoid the issue.  When might be a reasonable time to expect a resolution and will it restore the flexibility we enjoyed prior to 2020.4? 

hellyars
13 - Pulsar

@ntobon Sadly, the workaround does not really work with any of my source material.  Previously, you could parse all the children of an element in one step.  Now, I have to parse each child individually.  I really hope they restore the tool's functionality.  It was precisely this feature (XML parsing) that led me to Alteryx.  Fingers crossed.  Until then, I will stay on 2020.3.  The workaround is too disruptive/time intensive.   

ntobon
Alteryx
Alteryx

@hellyars The fix of DE28334 is targeted for 2021.2 release. 

ntobon
Alteryx
Alteryx
gregx
8 - Asteroid

XML parse tool is a sad joke, doesn't allow you to parse simplest xmls

better to switch to python