community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx Designer Knowledge Base

Definitive answers from Designer experts.

Visually Compare Workflow Versions

Community Data Engineer
Community Data Engineer
Created on

Thanks to the brilliance of @RobertB during last year’s Alteryx Innovation Days, we now have a command line tool in beta that generates visual markup in the Designer to compare two workflows. Using the tool is simple:

1. Open the Command Prompt and navigate to the AlteryxGui executable

cd C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin

CMD 1.png

2. Use the below command to launch the Alteryx Designer with a comparison between <Workflow 1> and <Workflow 2>

AlteryxGui.exe /diff <Workflow 1> <Workflow 2> 

CMD 2.png

Please note: All Designer instances must be closed before running the instructions above.

The Designer will then open up with a side-by-side comparison of the two workflows, marked to show the differences between them. Differences like:

• Tools that don’t appear in the other module get a big red box behind them
  • Tools with changed configurations get a hashed red box
  • Tools that are the same but have something different immediately up or down stream from them get a red arc on the side
  • Connections that are different get drawn in red

Essentially, any changes that affect what the workflow does at runtime should be marked in red one way or another, while cosmetic changes are ignored. This looks like:

Before:

Workflow 1

Workflow 1.png

Workflow 2

Workflow 2.png

After:

Workflow 1

Workflow 1 Diff.png

Workflow 2

Workflow 2 Diff.png

Diff.pngRunning the command line tool will open up a new instance of Alteryx with your workflows compared visually.

Thanks to @BenBu for his help providing detailed instructions!

Comments
Alteryx
Alteryx

thanks to @MattD and @BenBu

I have taken this and made it into a neat Analytic app:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Knowledge-Base/Visually-Compare-Workflow-Versions-App/tac-p...

Nebula
Nebula

This is super useful - especially for central teams that manage an alteryx implementation & server.

cc: @avinashbonu @Deeksha @revathi 

Meteor

A Visual version compare utility  takes   controls and governance to another level, we don't have to  any longer rely on just the underlying excel - but see the changes for real called out on the canvases.We had the opportunity to work   with     @BenBu  on this, and find it extremely useful. We are looking to integrate this into our  standard SDLC  process, will keep the group posted on any other interesting findings on this. 

Alteryx Certified Partner
Alteryx Certified Partner

THIS IS BLOODY AWESOME (Thanks @LordNeilLord for pointing me to this).

Atom

Hi, I am using Alteryx version 11.7.4. I tried the above APP but now luck :(. Could someone please share the steps to compare two workflows. 

Getting issue with the workflow...thanks in advance