Alteryx Designer Desktop Knowledge Base

Definitive answers from Designer Desktop experts.

Troubleshooting AWS Athena Connections

TylerNg
Alteryx
Alteryx
Created

Issue

During the run time of workflow, the following error is received:

Error: Input Data (1): Error SQLExecute: [Simba][Athena] (1040) An error has been thrown from the AWS Athena client. Athena Error No: 99, HTTP Response 
Code: 1759505392, Error Message: Unable to connect to endpoint [Execution ID: e7fe279d-f39b-4872-b37d-8ad49d49f3f5]

Environment Details

• Alteryx Designer
  • Amazon Athena Environment
  • Windows Operating System
  • Amazon Athena ODBC Driver (found here)

Cause

In version 1.0.3 and greater of the ODBC Driver, Result Set Streaming is enabled by default which has extra requirements. More info on the requirements is here.

Solution A - Connection String (DSN-less)

If connecting via a Connection String:

1. Add UseResultsetStreaming=0 to your connection string
  2. Example string:

odbc:Driver={Simba Athena ODBC Driver};AwsRegion=[Region];S3OutputLocation=[S3Path];AuthenticationType=IAM Profile;AWSProfile=[YourAccessKey];PWD=[YourSecretKey];UseResultsetStreaming=0

OR (If using a Profile Name)

odbc:Driver={Simba Athena ODBC Driver};AwsRegion=[Region];S3OutputLocation=[S3Path];AuthenticationType=IAM Profile;AWSProfile=[YourProfileName];UseResultsetStreaming=0

3. Use this string with your standard tools (Input Data, Output Data) or with a Connect In-DB Tool.
    KGmOLmI

Solution B - DSN Connection

If you are connecting to your Amazon Athena environment with a DSN connection (via ODBC Admin):

1. Open up ODBC Data Source Administrator
  2. Find your Athena connection and select it
  3. Hit "Configure..."
    q0pDKXJ
  4. Hit "Advanced Options..."
    tipYJ8o
  5. Uncheck the "Use Resultset Streaming" box
    0OV2HWu
  6. Hit OK to save the Advanced Options
  7. Hit OK again to save your connection

Comments
briyanimunger
5 - Atom

@TylerNg: You  are awesome! After several calls with network team and AWS folks your comment and solution really saved my day! Thank you. 

This solved my issue. Alteryx was freezing whenever connecting an input tool to Athena and data would not load from Athena. Those issues were resolved with this solution. Cheers!

devanstanton
6 - Meteoroid

This helped me so much! We have been back and forth with AWS support for weeks now and I just got my connection to work and return data. Thank you!