Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Knowledge Base

Definitive answers from Designer Desktop experts.

Temporary File Creation

AngelaO
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Created

Question: In order to perform tasks like sorting, loading or some other tasks does Alteryx create temporary files?

Answer:

Yes - if you select the Workflow-Configuration, Runtime tab you will see the path used for writing out Temporary files for your individual workflow.

temp1.JPG

temp2.JPG

To set your Default Temporary Directory, Click Options-User Settings-Edit User Settings, and change the Default Temporary Directory.

Advantage:

1. You can either configure the temp file path globally in your user\system settings or per-workflow on the workflow configuration tab
  2. You can write output to the temp file path using %Engine.TempFilePath% (e.g. %Engine.TempFilePath%MyFile.yxdb)
    • When your workflow finishes and you close Alteryx, content in %Engine.TempFilePath% is deleted -- this is a great way to let Alteryx clean up interim content without your intervention.

Some things to be aware of:

1. If a process 'dies', the temp file isn't necessarily cleared out. It's a good idea to check the temp file path periodically for abandoned temp files/folders.
  2. Temp files must be stored on the machine running Alteryx (e.g. you can't put the temp files on a network drive).

For more information, search the Alteryx help (F1) for %temp%!

Comments
DmtCoj
7 - Meteor

Hi @AngelaO,

Thanks for the article. Please correct me if I'm wrong but as I understand the destination for the temporary files cannot include BOX ( C:\Users\....\Box\....), am I right?

Therefore, the only option for large amount of temp files (more than 100GB) to be stored is an additional hard drive.

Thanks in advance.