Alteryx Designer Desktop Knowledge Base

Definitive answers from Designer Desktop experts.

TPM-522:Error:“Bad request syntax or unsupported method” occurs if null values are found in the Integer data type field when using Power BI Output

clarab
Alteryx
Alteryx
Created

Error: “Bad request syntax or unsupported method” occurs if null values are found in the Integer data type field when using Power BI Output

Environment Details

Power BI Output tool fails with "Bad request syntax or unsupported method" error if null values are found in an integer data type field.

Bad request syntax or unsupported method

• Alteryx Designer
    • Version(s): 2021.3.3
  • Microsoft Power BI
  • Additional Tools:
    • Power BI Output version 3.1.0

Cause

TPM-522 has been logged to address this issue. However, as the issue is due to an API limitation from Power BI, the fix will be to include a detailed error when encountering a null value for the integer data type field. This error message has been addressed in Power BI Output tool version 3.2. The new error message will look like the example below:

Bad request syntax or unsupported method. Error parsing request for dataset <DATASET>: Conversion error on column '<pi><COLUMN_NAME></pi>': <pi>Input string was not in a correct format.</pi>

Users are advised to review the column and made appropriate changes to it.

Resolution

To address this limitation, please consider one of the following suggestions:

• Use Data Cleansing tool to replace null value with zero.
  • Change the data type of the field from integer type (Int16, Int32, Int64) to a double type.

Additional Resources

Comments
Ben_Moore
6 - Meteoroid

Note that I also experienced the "Bad request syntax or unsupported method" error related to a different issue when investigating Power BI API access issues as discussed in my post Power BI Output Tool - Azure App Registration API ... - Alteryx Community

In particular, if you are attempting to fix the API permission requests and do the first permissions "Fix" to the javascript file in my post, but you do not do the second fix to the python file, you will see this error when trying to run a workflow.  In this case, making sure you make the change to the python file will resolve the error.