Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Knowledge Base

Definitive answers from Designer Desktop experts.

Sub-headers/Sub-fields in Reporting Tables

MattD
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Created

If you’ve gotten accustomed to having headers and sub-headers (fields/sub-fields) in your tables, much like those you can build with the “Merge & Center” Excel feature, you’ll be happy to hear with just a couple formatting steps we can build the format below:

21.png

In Alteryx, with similar formatting:

22.png

The attached workflow goes into the details of the approach, but the essence is below:

1. Split your columns/fields your desired categories (making them sub-headers)
  2. Create tables from your categories, add your supra-headers
  3. Combine the reporting elements we have now, use the Union Tool to stack and the Summarize Tool to combine the reporting elements horizontally
  4. Combine your sub-tables into a larger table, if needed (adding another header)

There you have it! Your tables are now rendered in style.

Attachments
Comments
Usamah22
8 - Asteroid

I have an Excel file which contains two headers (the top one is usually merged) and i need both of them. How can i use this in Alteryx? Can i combine the 2 together so that each month has the top header name in it? 

The brand column at the top is actually merged all the way across but for some reason doesn't show on here.

GroupBrand
QTR ending May-19Apr-19May-19QTR ending Feb-19QTR ending May-19
MojiMiracle
7 - Meteor

@MattD If I want the results of your flow to be in excel (.xlxs) format, can I do it?

LukaszKarpinski
8 - Asteroid

@MojiMiracle 

I tried that but for some reason the width of the column groups varies and I have absolutely no clue why, it's as if Excel would be arbitrarily deciding what columns need more space than others (screenshot below). Changing the report type in Render tool to custom does help a little bit, but only If you can find the width that is just right for a given columns sets. The problem with that approach is that if the columns need more space (e.g. the value is longer) they would get trimmed...

LukaszKarpinski_0-1607939440611.png