Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Knowledge Base

Definitive answers from Designer Desktop experts.

Select Tool fields show as missing & data types show unknown when querying from a database

ianwhite
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Created

Environment Details

The Select Tool will show the fields as missing in orange text & data types show unknown when querying from a database connection and when the workflow is run at least once. The issue occurs every time the workflow is opened and/or edited.
idea Skyscrapers
  • Alteryx - Designer
    • Version N/A
  • Select Tool
  • MongoDB

Cause

Tool settings.

Resolution

1. Select the "Disable Auto Configure" option by going to Tools > User Settings > Advanced & then check "Disable Auto Configure". Check this box if you are importing or editing an existing complicated module where tools will need to be configured manually.
    • By checking this box, you may find resources are better allocated and optimized.
  2. Rerun the workflow.

idea Skyscrapers

Comments
lepome
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

If you choose to "Disable Auto Configure" that apply to all workflows that you open.  When you want to update the configuration you can do so by pressing F5.  

2020-07-25_10-00-02.png

korok12
5 - Atom

So I have similar problem but the solution provided does not help.

I have a join tool and fields are present such as Ship to City.

But then in select tool they are missing. When I bring in brand new Select Tool they show, but not in current select tool.

What could be the issue here? I did try Disable Auto Configure but it didn't help. 

Thank you 

1.JPG3.JPG

2.JPG

lepome
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@korok12 
I assume that you've worked out something by now, but in general for other folks who might be seeing similar behavior, when you need to update the fields going into a tool, you can usually do so by re-running the workflow.  If it is an involved workflow, it might be helpful to limit the number of records coming in so that the run doesn't take as long.  Just remember to remove that record limit before you run the workflow for production purposes.

When auto-configure is disabled, Designer won't update the metadata every time you click on a tool, so that might help to retain whatever information was present.  F5 will send a null record through the workflow, but when you're querying a database, that might not update all the fields.  In nearly every case, actually running the workflow will update all the metadata including all the field names.  Some practice will allow you to find the right balance of rerunning and holding the info static so that you can work efficiently.